[Thanks to Soap fan Jeff for reminding me of today’s anniversary.]
Thirty years ago today, ABC succumbed to nearly four years of pressure from advertisers and activists, and pulled the plug on Soap with Season 4, Episode 16. Chances are good that if you’re reading this blog, you probably regret that decision. However, as even a casual search through the world brain that is the web reveals, April 20th has been a pretty rum date throughout modern history. Consider:
- Adolf Hitler’s birthday: April 20, 1889
- English MP Enoch Powell makes his famous “Rivers of Blood” speech:
April 20, 1968
- Death of British funnyman Benny Hill, April 20, 1992
- Columbine High School Massacre in Colorado: April 20, 1999
- Deepwater Horizon oil well explodes in the Gulf of Mexico, sparking the BP environmental catastrophe: April 20, 2010.
So all in all, Soap‘s premature ending is in….pretty lousy company, actually.